Thursday, July 13, 2006

Why Microsoft should fear Intel Macs

I'm not sure I buy this writer's assertions: Jump

Don't get me wrong. I love the idea of being able to run multiple platforms on a single machine and I'm already a Mac user so I don't need any extra encouragement. However I think there are a few problems with his theory:

1. Cost - As a Mac user I know the counter argument regarding price. So I'll bypass them here. The bottom line is that many users who are not tech savvy see no justification in buying a computer for which they would need to purchase both the computer (the Mac) and a version of Windows XP (which last I checked was around $299). Why not just buy a cheap Dell?

2. This leads to the next point. Familiarity - There are users out there who are not afraid of a challenge. And even if you can convince them that it isn't much of a challenge...some people are just prefer to stay in their comfort zone around computers...even if that comfort zone is a buggy bloated Windows OS. They don't know any more or want to know anymore. So even if you gloat that Mac OSX is easier to use they'll still see it as a NEW operating system to learn.

Personally I love the options this will afford me as a Mac user. I plan to take advantage of it. But to the average user they will see the extra cost of another operating system and they'll realize they would need to learn a new OS and that's just too daunting of a task for many.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home