Monday, June 25, 2007

Apple Continues to Pile on the Eye Candy


This article pretty much sums up my feelings about the eye candy introduced in the newest version of OS X. I like the idea of 'Stacks' on the Dock (although you can already do this in the current version of OS X by dropping a folder and using a well placed Ctrl-click). Time Machine is also a great idea to get people utilizing backup software. But I'm on board with this author in their critique of using Cover Flow to browse files. If anyone can think of a good use for this view please enlighten me.
Jump

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, it's awesome if you're looking for a file, but you're not sure of the filename -- say flipping through photos or other graphics -- and especially files that don't normally have a preview icon, like spreadsheets or wp files. Also good when you have multiple version of that same content and aren't sure which is the one you need. It becomes even more useful when the app you might need to open the file takes some time to open.

Pretty often I encounter situations like this and I'm not even sure what app the document was written in, so I don't even know if I"m looking for .doc, .sxw (Open Office), or .xls. I imagine Cover Flow in the Finder would be a real time saver right then.

June 25, 2007 6:09 PM  
Blogger netwurth said...

I agree in theory but as pointed out in the article, if you're looking for a picture wouldn't you more likely check out iPhoto?

I agree that if you've got a file with a lot of graphics on the cover page this might be useful. But with most of my files I doubt seeing the cover page is going to do me much good. The viewer is helpful here but doesn't that also work in other views? Cover flow is going to be a resource hog if you have a ton of files to cache all those images. Again, like the article points out, in the keynote Jobs scanned too far on a very fast machine and got blank images that couldn't load fast enough.

Might be useful for some but I don't see myself using this bit of eye candy.

June 25, 2007 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home